Apples, apples everywhere! The bottom drawer of our fridge is overflowing with them, all thanks to a trip to an apple orchard last week to pick some Swiss Gourmet apples – sweet, tart, and so delicious! I took a trip up to Indiana last Thursday to visit with my sweet friend Cristina, and we decided to meet somewhere that would allow us to celebrate our favorite season – fall! We started the day picking apples at The Apple Works and then headed into downtown Nashville, Indiana, followed by a drive through Brown County State Park. It was quite a lovely day and it was so nice to visit with C and have a little fall fun.
So, as a result of this trip and its apple-picking journey, I currently have a ridiculous stockpile of apples. Now, I love apples and could easily take down the entire load in the form of afternoon snacks alone, but having so many gorgeous apples at my disposal has inspired me to get a little creative.
The first of many projects to come was this Apple, Bacon, and Blue Cheese Flatbread. Naan is brushed with a roasted garlic cheese sauce, topped with apple slices, crumbled bacon, and blue cheese and baked until warm and browned. The topping of peppery arugula really takes the dish over the edge. This dish is bursting with flavor and is so warm and inviting (especially the dreamy roasted garlic cheese sauce – too much goodness right there!).
Appetizer or main course – this flatbread could go either way. We enjoyed it as a main course served with a side of spring greens topped with a raspberry merlot dressing (this one – heavenly!).
More apple love coming your way soon!
- 2 pieces of naan flatbread
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced (I used Swiss Gourmet)
- 1 cup arugula
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 4 cloves roasted garlic, minced (see note)
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (I actually used a Parmesan/Pecorino blend)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place flatbreads on baking sheet.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add minced roasted garlic and cook for 30 seconds while stirring constantly. Whisk in flour and pepper. Continue to cook and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk and continue cooking for 3 additional minutes while whisking constantly until sauce thickens. Remove saucepan from heat and immediately stir in Parmesan cheese until melted and well combined.
- Using a spoon or pastry brush, spread half of the roasted garlic sauce over each piece of naan. Top with apple slices, bacon, and blue cheese crumbles.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until crust is golden and toppings are warmed.
- Remove flatbreads from oven and top with arugula. Slice, serve, and enjoy!