Guess who’s back?! Me me me!
That’s right. After weeks of living off frozen items, birthday cake, and take-out, all of the exams and papers and fall semester are finally over with! I could not be more excited to clear my schedule and let the holiday baking begin!
But first, this drink really needed to be made before the baking commenced. I’ve had the idea of a candy cane mojito on my mind for months and really wanted to get it out to you before the holiday parties were over. I am a total lover of all things mint and all mojito drinks, so I obviously needed to bring the two together.
This drink is minty and refreshing and is sure to keep your breath smelling nice during your annual Christmas party. Plus it’s so festive and pretty, with its red candy cane simple syrup and green mint leaves. Hello Christmas!
I’ll be back with more Christmas treats soon, so be sure to check back! Happy Friday!
- 8 candy canes
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1½ ounces white rum
- 10 mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons mint simple syrup
- splash of Sprite
- crushed candy can pieces and whole candy canes for garnishing
- Add candy canes to a gallon-size Ziploc bag. Crush into bite-size pieces using a rolling pin (Just break them down the best you can. Any leftover larger pieces will be strained out in the end).
- Add the crushed candy canes, water, and sugar to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture comes to a simmer. Allow to simmer while stirring for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow syrup to cool.
- When syrup is cool enough to handle, strain the syrup using a fine mesh strainer and transfer syrup to a glass jar. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add rum, mint leaves, and simple syrup to a small glass and stir to combine. Top with crushed ice and a splash of Sprite. Garnish with crushed and whole candy canes.
Candy cane simple syrup recipe from Chowhound.