This week has been a struggle. I have been so ready for fall for the at least the past month (maybe even the past 10 months…), but the Kentucky weather is just not giving in. This week has been the worst, with temperatures in the 90s and ridiculously high humidity.
Try as it may, I won’t let this weather defeat my fall spirit! So, while it’s been too crazy hot to turn on the oven to make real baked apples, I found a fast, easy, and delicious way to make copycat baked apples in the microwave!
The process is simple – take a crisp apple (the texture is important…this is not the place for red delicious apples), remove most of the core, fill it with a bit of sugar and spice, cover with a wet paper towel, microwave for a few minutes, and voila! You have a super easy, yet scrumptious, baked apple!
Then comes the fun breakfast part. Fill your baked apple with Greek yogurt, granola, and Craisins and you’ve got one delicious fall breakfast!
P.S. Drinking a fall-themed beverage and burning a fall-scented candle while consuming this breakfast are encouraged.
Here’s to hoping cooler weather finds us soon!
- 1 crisp apple
- ¾ teaspoon pure maple syrup
- splash of vanilla
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granola
- 1 teaspoon Craisins or raisins
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (I used Toasted Coconut flavored yogurt)
- Core apple. Cut the bottom inch of the core off and stick back in bottom of apple. Place apple in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Sprinkle a dash of cinnamon into apple cavity. In a separate small bowl, stir together maple syrup and vanilla. Pour mixture into apple cavity. Cover bowl with a wet paper towel.
- Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, until fork tender, checking after 3 minutes. Remove from microwave and cool for 5 minutes.
- When apple is cool enough to handle, remove the core stub from the base of the apple and set the apple on a plate. Set aside leftover cooking liquid from the microwave bowl.
- Fill the bottom of the apple cavity with half of the granola and half of the craisins or raisins. Fill the remaining portion of the cavity with yogurt. Pour in the liquid from the microwave bowl. Top with remaining granola and craisins/raisins.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!