Oh hey, Monday! Thanks for sneaking up on me yet again (but not really).
It’s days like today when I’m so thankful for meals that cook themselves. The kind where I can throw a few ingredients together in a slow cooker, leave it for hours and hours, and come back to a hot meal. And to think, I used to be a slow cooker hater! How times have changed.
I’m typically not a beef barbecue fan. Pork barbecue is easily my first favorite (Carolina style, of course). Chicken barbecue is a very close second (see this and this). But beef? It doesn’t usually cross my mind when I’m thinking about what barbecue dish I’d like to make.
But then a couple of weeks ago, I bought 3 pounds of chuck roast and needed to find a use for it asap. Since chuck roast begs to be cooked low and slow anyway, I was already thinking about using the slow cooker. Dreams of soft potato buns piled high with tangy, saucy, shredded beef crept into my mind, so I set out to make those dreams a reality.
I was so impressed with how well the beef turned out! So tender and flavorful right out of the slow cooker, but even better once coated in sticky, smoky, sweet barbecue sauce. This recipes a keeper for sure!
I made my own bourbon bbq sauce based on this recipe and let it refrigerate for a day before using so that the flavors had the chance to marry. It was so good! But I think I would have loved it just as much with Sweet Baby Ray’s or another thick red bbq sauce.
Enjoy the start of another week, friends!
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 3 cups of your favorite bbq sauce, divided*
- Add beef broth and liquid smoke to the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker. Add boneless chuck roast. Sprinkle smoked paprika, salt, and pepper over the top of the roast. Top the seasoned roast with 1 cup of bbq sauce, spreading gently to cover the top and sides completely.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until fork tender.
- Remove beef from slow cooker, discarding cooking liquid. Shred beef using two forks. Toss shredded beef with remaining 2 cups of bbq sauce.
- Serve on buns and enjoy!