These cupcakes hold the key to my heart.
No (major) exaggeration.
I’m a chocolate lover and have pretty strong opinions when it comes to chocolate cake, because sometimes chocolate cake ends up being so blah, you know? Like incredibly dry with only the slightest hint of chocolate. These cupcakes are the opposite of that.
The cake itself is incredibly chocolaty thanks to two separate chocolate sources, and is moist and dense while still being fluffy (if that even make sense). A hint of cinnamon is warm and unexpected, espresso really makes the chocolate pop, and the mini chocolate chips add a little extra chocolaty punch with every bite. So dreamy!
And then comes the buttercream. The Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream. This is one of my favorite frosting recipes ever. Ever ever ever! It is absolutely perfect, you guys! And it really sends these cupcakes over the edge into chocolate overload heaven.
As usual, don’t be scared off by the zucchini. It’s just here for moisture and maybe to make you feel like eating chocolate cupcakes for breakfast is a good idea because of the veggies involved (or maybe that’s just me).
I can’t even wait for you to try these!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups finely grated and drained zucchini
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- ½ batch of this Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Extra mini chocolate chips and chocolate shavings for decorating, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tin with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt cinnamon, and espresso powder.
- To a medium-sized mixing bowl, add eggs. Lightly beat, and then stir in vegetable oil, cooled melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture. Mix batter gently by hand. Add in zucchini and chocolate chips; fold into batter. (Note: Batter will be thick until zucchini is added)
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full. Bake cupcakes for approximately 18 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely. Frost with Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream and decorate with additional mini chocolate chips and/or chocolate shavings if desired. Enjoy!