One of the hardest parts of moving to a new place is having to find all of your new go-to spots. New favorite grocery store, new favorite weeknight dinner spot, new favorite take-out restaurants. While I’ve gotten the first two down during my 3 years in Louisville, I’ve never been able to figure the last one out, especially Chinese take-out, which is easily my favorite of all of the take-out forms. I ordered Chinese take-out so many times during my Chapel Hill days (an egg roll, soup, and General Tso’s Chicken can keep a college student happy for many meals), but all of our experiences with Chinese places near our home here in Louisville have left me disappointed. Soon after moving here, it became pretty apparent take-out fake-out was the only way to go.
And what a winner take-out fake-out has been! Healthier than traditional take-out, super flavorful, and quick and easy to prepare. This whole meal comes together in under 30 minutes, making it perfect for weeknights. And, while I’ve made many of these dishes at home over the years, this Honey Sesame Chicken is high on the list of all-time favorites. The sauce is delicious, the chicken has amazing texture thanks to the panko, and the chicken is baked in the oven aka no frying involved!
Please don’t be scared off if sesame oil and rice wine vinegar aren’t staples in your kitchen! I promise to post plenty of other recipes using these ingredients, so they won’t just sit in your pantry collecting dust.
Enjoy! I’ll be back on Thursday with a refreshing drink that you’re totally going to want to make this weekend.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (or ⅛ tsp ground ginger)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Soy sauce
- Steamed broccoli
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper as desired. Working in batches of 2-3 pieces, dip chicken into eggs and then dredge in Panko, pressing to coat. Add chicken to prepared baking dish.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir sauce ingredients together in small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil while stirring constantly until thickened, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle sauce over chicken and gently toss to coat.
- Serve chicken over rice with steamed broccoli. Garnish with sesame seeds. Serve with a side of soy sauce.