Key lime recipe round 2 right here, friends! What can I say? I so love Key lime everything, especially during the summer and especially when chocolate is involved.
This pie’s filling is sweet and tart, which is nicely balanced by the buttery graham cracker crust, rich dark chocolate drizzle, and fluffy whipped cream. Such a perfect summer pie!
If tart pies aren’t really your thing, you can cut back on the lime juice a bit, or even replace some of the juice with lime zest if you still want plenty of lime flavor without it being so tart.
- 9 (2¼–inch by 4¾-inch) graham crackers (or 1¼ cups graham cracker crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh or bottled Key lime juice (if using bottled, I prefer Nellie & Joe’s Key Lime Juice)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add graham crackers. Cover and pulse until ground into fine crumbs. Add sugar and stream in melted butter while pulsing until combined and moistened.
- Press the graham cracker crumb mixture evenly onto the bottom and sides of a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Bake the crust on the middle rack of a preheated oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the pie plate from the oven to cool on a wire rack, leaving the oven on for later.
- While the pie crust is cooling in the pie plate, prepare the filling. Whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks until well combined. Add lime juice and whisk until evenly mixed.
- Once crust has cooled slightly, pour the filling into the crust and bake for 15 minutes. Cool pie on a wire rack completely (pie filling will set as it cools). After pie has cooled completely, cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- Slice and top with whipped cream and dark chocolate ganache, if desired (recipe follows). Enjoy!
- Whip cream and sugar on high in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until stiff peaks form. Transfer whipped cream to a sandwich bag for piping. Snip the tip off the corner of the bag and pipe onto entire pie or pie slices.
- Microwave chocolate chips and cream in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds on high. Mix the chocolate chip mixture and then return to microwave for an additional 10 seconds. Transfer ganache to a sandwich bag for piping. Snip the tip off the corner of the bag and drizzle across pie slice as desired.