Wooooo for weekends and warm weather! It’s going to be so beautiful here on Saturday, which is perfect since it’s Thunder Over Louisville, the official kickoff to the year’s Kentucky Derby festivities. There couldn’t be better weather for the outdoor occasion – 82 degrees, sunny, and not the slightest chance of rain! This forecast begs for a Moonshine Lemonade with Cherries and Mint accompaniment.
This drink concoction was actually Landon’s idea. He came home with a bottle of Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash and some Ole Smoky moonshine-soaked cherries last week and started brainstorming for the creation of a tasty moonshine cocktail. And so this moonshine lemonade was born, and goodness gracious is it tasty! I’m not even a moonshine lover, but moonshine mixed with freshly squeezed lemonade, mint, and cherries? I’m game!
This drink could easily be made in large quantities to serve a crowd and would look gorgeous in a pitcher for your party, as well! No need for fancy glassware, either. This cocktail is made for a mason jar. Garnish with lemon slices, cherries, and a mint sprig to fancy it up, if you wish!
Stay tuned for some fun Derby party recipes coming your way mid next week! I’m so unbelievably excited to share them with you.
- 2½ tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 fresh mint leaves
- 2 cherries (moonshine-soaked or Maraschino)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about the juice of 1½ lemons)
- ½ cup water
- 1½ ounces moonshine
- Optional: extra lemon slices, mint, and cherries for garnish
- In the bottom of a mason jar or other glass, muddle together ½ tablespoon sugar and mint leaves. Add 2 cherries to the jar and muddle together with sugar/mint mixture.
- In a separate cup with spout, combine lemon juice, water, and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Strain lemonade into mason jar. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in moonshine.
- Add ice. Garnish with extra lemon slices, mint, and cherries, if desired.