Let me tell you, I really love soup season. To me, soup is one of the simplest pleasures in life. Most of my favorite soup recipes require little fuss, and they all yield pleasant aromas and warm, cozy meals that leave you feeling happy and full. What more could you ask for?
I love days when I can stay home with a pot of soup simmering away on the stove all day long, grabbing a bowl for lunch and then devouring another for dinner. But lately that hasn’t been my reality. There just isn’t enough time to tend to soup. In order to get my soup fix, I’ve been turning to my slow cooker to take care of the babysitting for me. And the slow cooker works like a dream in this recipe!
I love almost all soup varieties, but spicy soups are a big-time favorite of mine. A few years ago, I started doctoring up one of my go-to canned soups (of the potato variety) with a little buffalo wing sauce and have never looked back. The combination provides just enough spice and tang to make things interesting, while still having a luxuriously creamy potato base. The addition of bacon and cheddar contribute to the recipe’s decadence, though, surprisingly, this soup is still figure-friendly thanks to the use of lower fat ingredients.
Another exciting aspect of this soup is that most of the ingredients are fridge and pantry staples, meaning you can whip this recipe up whenever you please! I see this soup being a snow day favorite for sure.
This soup was crazy good straight out of the slow cooker, but I really fell in love when I transferred some to a bowl and swirled in a dollop of plain Greek yogurt – SO DREAMY! Even the self-proclaimed soup hater of the family could not stop eating this dish! I never thought I’d see the day when I had to fight for my fair share of soup in this house. I don’t know whether to be excited about his approval of one of my favorite dinners or saddened by the news that I can no longer keep a whole pot to myself.
Until next time, friends!
- 6 slices raw bacon, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-2.5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-5 tablespoons buffalo wing sauce
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, for topping
- Sliced green onions, for topping
- Additional bacon crumbles, for topping
- Preheat slow cooker.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon grease in skillet. Add onions to skillet over medium heat and sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Remove skillet from heat and transfer contents to slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, chicken stock, and bacon to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours until potatoes are tender.
- Mash potatoes slightly in the bowl of the slow cooker using a potato masher. Blend with an immersion blender until soup is extremely smooth, starting on low speed and increasing to medium speed. Once smooth, stir in shredded cheddar cheese until melted.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk and cornstarch together until combined. Whisk into soup.
- Add salt and pepper, adjusting to taste. Add buffalo wing sauce according to preference, adding a little at a time and tasting between additions.
- Blend with the immersion blender again until ingredients are well combined and soup texture is as desired.
- Serve topped with sliced green onions, a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream), and additional bacon crumbles, if desired. Enjoy!