You guys, this recipe is so simple that I’m almost embarrassed to share it. But at the same time it’s so delicious, comes together in a flash, and is quite the crowd pleaser, so I feel obligated to share it right this minute!
Over the weekend, we had family over to watch the first college football game of the season. While discussing what appetizers to make, my step-mom, Amy, suggested a family friend’s recipe for Texas Caviar. As Amy was describing Tina’s killer dip, I couldn’t help but be reminded of an ex Costco staple known as Cowboy Caviar, which Landon’s family loves, but hasn’t been available at our Costco for several months now. I decided to give it a go and what a hit it was! (Thanks for the recipe, Tina! We owe you!)
The first aspect of this appetizer that won me over was how incredibly easy it was to prepare. Each ingredient has little or no prep time. Most of the work involves emptying the contents of cans and bottles into a mixing bowl. Bonus for not requiring the use of a hot oven! After baking homemade white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, pork taquitos, and buffalo chicken dip, a simple, no-bake recipe was just what I needed!
The recipe also wins in the appetizer category for taste. Now, I am by no means a black-eyed pea fan; however, black-eyed peas that have been soaking in Zesty Italian dressing, combined with sweet corn and Rotel, and piled atop Fritos Scoops are just on a completely different level! I dare you to hate on them after giving this recipe a go.
Happy tailgating season, friends!
- 3 (15-ounce) cans sweet white & yellow corn, drained
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10-ounce) can original Rotel
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle Zesty Italian dressing
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or prep ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy with Fritos Scoops.